Welcome to the world of Radio Control. This site was developed for the novice entering RC as well as the seasoned veterans. Here you will find extensive information and instruction to make your first RC experience a fun investment. When starting out in Radio Control, keep in mind that your first choices in the equipment that you purchase is going to leave the biggest first impression of the hobby, so read on and pick wisely.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Blade 120 SR Review

For A Complete List Of New Hobby Ideas Go Here
This is the best Blade yet! I have the SR, mSr, mcx, blade CX, and the blade CX2, but none of them are as fun to fly as the 120. This is not for the beginner who has never flown a single rotor heli before but if you are looking to upgrade from a coaxial heli to a single this is the one to start with. The lightweight but sturdy components make the 120 SR strong enough to fulfill this goal. The lightweight prices make RC helicopter flying a possibility.


I was looking hard at the Blade MSR, but was concerned about performance in light wind. So when the Blade 120 SR came out it was exactly what I was looking for and I bought mine right here. It is a great trainer for beginners and for those with a little more experience. You can practice hovering in multiple positions, figure 8s, funnels, etc. Besides that it is a blast to fly and relatively safe. The 45 degree flybar makes this a really easy heli to fly. If you simply let go of the right hand controls it will, if it has room, return to a semi-stable hover.

There are some basic and advance settings on connector that connect the head linkage to the swash plate. I recommend going to the advance settings as quickly as you can especially if you are flying in light wind. It takes 5 minutes to do, and you can do it with your fingers or gently with small needle nose pliers.

This is a great heli and I am very satisfied with the flight characteristics. Super stable for a non-coaxial bladed heli. Tail is amazingly stable and holds direction better than I would have thought possible for for this type of heli.

The large single LiPo for the 120 SR can be ready for use (at 0.7 amp) just as quickly as the mSR and flies nearly as long. I have only flown the 120 SR through a dozen battery charges but I'm hooked. Once I started flying the Blade single rotor lightweights I have lost my desire to engage my little collection of Chinese coaxials.

Both beginners and seasoned flyers will have a blast with this heli. It's great for learning orientations and forward flight, but has enough get up and go to scratch that flying itch when you can't make it to the flying field and want to tool around the yard. It's stable in a hover, although it tends to want a switch in rudder trim about half way through the flight. I've had several blade strikes with NO damage. Like the mSR, this heli is durable as well as fun. There's nothing bad I can say about it. I think it's the perfect trainer for larger collective pitch heli's. In fact, I just finished building a new TREX 450 so after a couple of months flying the SR120, I think I'm ready to move on. But this time I'm keeping my SR120. It's great to fly in the back yard, the driveway or at our indoor fly-ins at the local High School. Highly recommended!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to contact us 24/7 and let us know what your hobbies are, what they do for you and we will publish them to our site. Please let us know how we can improve our site, all suggestions are appreciated. Be sure to leave your location (country, state) and your web site address if you have one.